PDA

View Full Version : Question About Upkeeps

Tooth
11-01-2011, 03:30 PM
A 'caster/'lock can cast an upkeep spell on themselves, right? I'm getting back into WM/H from MK1 and am still figuring out all the subtle rule changes, but I checked both rule books (MK2 and MK1) and didn't see anything that explicitly says you can't cast an upkeep on yourself, unless the upkeep specifies that it is for a "unit" or "warbeast/warjack".

I'm asking because I just finished a game that went ridiculously well, and both my opponent and I were flabbergasted.

For giggles I wanted to try using Naaresh as a beat stick, hoping that Iron Flesh and his affinity for pain would keep him alive. I upkept by taking damage (since Naaresh can do that) and used all my fury to slaughter his units every turn, whipping myself with PGBH to give extra STR and ARM each turn.

Basically, I was DEF18, ARM 20 since turn two and could heal back all the damage I was taking/giving myself because of how much I killed each turn.

That's legit right? I mean, isn't that the idea behind Naaresh? If I can't cast Iron Flesh on myself then I'll admit I was wrong, but it seemed ok and we allowed it until we realized I was more or less invincible (for that situation).

Did I do anything wrong? Was I just really lucky? I wiped him out to the man and only took a few casualties...

Any input is appreciated!

Alviaran
11-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes. You may not target the point of origin with an offensive spell, but non-offensive spells are just fine. (The reason I say point of origin is because you can channel an upkeep through an arc node onto it but you cannot target it with an offensive spell through the arc node)

So yeah, that certainly seems to be the way he is meant to be played.

Valander
11-01-2011, 03:50 PM
A spell being, or not being, an Upkeep has no bearing on whether it can be cast on the warlock/warcaster themselves. Targeting restrictions such as "non-character warrior model" or "friendly model/unit" and so on are what determines what the spell can be cast on.

Naaresh can indeed cast Iron Flesh on himself, as he is a "friendly warrior model", which is a valid target for Iron Flesh.

Tooth
11-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Awesome, thanks guys!