PDA

View Full Version : Magical Weapons and Choired Jacks, Part Two

Sardonic Artery
11-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Okay, so I thought I had this answered based on this: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?61535-Do-Magical-Weapons-make-Magical-attacks&highlight=magic+weapons+choir

However, there's some line in the rulebook that states that a ranged attack made a magical ranged weapon isn't considered a magic attack (heard it, but didn't see it in the book [didn't doubt the reader either -- I just don't know where it is in the rulebook to specifically reference the phrasing]).

The situations are the following:

#1 Choir sings "no shooty" on the jacks and I, as a Cygnar player, use Siege's explosivo to give my jacks magical attacks. Although I know explosivo is somewhat of a rule nightmare spell already (and may have a caveat that doesn't allow it to do anything other than be AoE 3 and harm incorporeal or ghostly models) I thought I was good to shoot the protected Menoth jacks. Have I been playing this wrong?

#2 Same thing, except Lady Aiyana grants magical weapons to my jack. Am I okay to shoot the protected Menoth jacks now?

NmoLvr
11-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Both of the abilities you mentioned say they grant the weapons :Magic-Wpn:.

The thread you linked has an infernal ruling that says :Magic-Wpn: make magical attacks.

Unless there has been some other infernal ruling to change the way one of these abilities function, both of them would allow you to shoot Menoth 'jacks being protected by 'no shooty' (i.e. Passage).

Rynth
11-02-2011, 08:30 AM
There are ranged attacks, melee attacks, magic attacks, magical ranged attacks, and magical melee attacks.
As contradictory as it may seem, magical attacks are not magic. IIRC, the choir protects from non-magical ranged attacks, so explosivo and Aiyana improved weapons get through the choir just fine.

Valander
11-02-2011, 08:33 AM
There are ranged attacks, melee attacks, magic attacks, magical ranged attacks, and magical melee attacks.
As contradictory as it may seem, magical attacks are not magic attacks.
This is correct.

Sardonic Artery
11-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Ah, I know a Menoth player who's about to be disappointed then (will have to find the page he references in Prime and finagle it with the wording on the choir card).

bouncymischa
11-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Ah, I know a Menoth player who's about to be disappointed then (will have to find the page he references in Prime and finagle it with the wording on the choir card).

The line in question is probably the one under Magical Weapons that states that magical ranged weapons make ranged attacks, and magical melee weapons make melee attacks. I suspect this is because back in Mk I, abilities like Explosivo or Aiyana's spell turned ranged and melee attacks into magic attacks, with all of the benefits that provided (for example, being able to fire while engaged). Many Menoth players tend to assume that lines mean that magical ranged weapons make non-magical ranged attacks, but Maudlin's ruling clarifies this.