PDA

View Full Version : Q: Contesting and Measuring

Obeisance
11-22-2011, 05:01 PM
So situation came up against a regular opponent, we're playing Incursion.

He charged/ran some Nyss to engage my Banes. Later, calls turn over. His turn 2 passes and noone scores.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/obeisance/contesting.jpg

Do I have the right to measure what models are contesting the zone, when checking if anyone contests?

ie; Nyss A and B are clearly contesting, but C, D and E may be out. This would dictate what I need to kill.

Am I missing something?

drachenfels
11-22-2011, 05:12 PM
models claiming/contesting an objective would be public information so id say yes it could be measured, BUT to stop abuse id say not at the same time as measuring anything else, only to specifically stated models, and only if there is any question to it.

Obeisance
11-22-2011, 05:44 PM
So at the end of a turn where the flags are open, it is acceptable to check which models are contesting?

Obviously measure no more than 4" from a flag.

Does it mention this in the SR booklet or something?

solkan
11-22-2011, 06:05 PM
The general principle is that you only measure when called up on to do so by a rule, or when given permission to do so.

So when do you determine whether a zone is contested? That would be when you would measure because that's when you would be required to measure (in order to determine the state of the game).

Edit: I think it becomes a sportsmanship issue if there's a disagreement on how thoroughly it is necessary to determine that a point is contested or controlled. Since contesting only requires "one or more" models.

tutenkharnage
11-22-2011, 06:40 PM
If you have a third party around, ask him to measure it. The two of you can even turn away, or ask him to give a generic response, such as, "Not all the Nyss are contesting the scenario." If it's just you and your opponent, well, I hope the two of you can work it out. For future games, if nothing else.

tuttleboy
11-22-2011, 08:10 PM
I've always played it that you measure the control zone at the end of the players turn in which there are questions. It's not really a "right", it's a check of the game state to see if someone scores. Of course you can't measure beyond the control zone.

JacobtheAussie
11-23-2011, 12:39 AM
I would definitely say you only measure 4" from the flag at the end of the round when points are counted, any other time wouldn't be right... Unless it's a part of checking your control area.

And I figure if it's a tournament situation the TO would have better things to do to measure it for you, unless it is a line call on the 4".

Now I wonder, should you measure to determine all models contesting or just to the closest one?

Nazdrek
11-23-2011, 02:26 AM
I would not let you measure during your turn nor at the end of your turn if you do not have a model/unit actually controlling the objective. Once you have a model in control then at the end of your turn you would be able to check and see if any models are contesting. That is when CP's are calculated, not in the middle of your turn.

Obeisance
11-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Ok- gotcha. No checking to see what's contesting, unless someone is actually trying to score.

In retrospect- I knew that. I've always played that way. I don't know why I was thinking it was any way different when I played the game it came up in.

I guess I'll just put it down to not having played a game in a few weeks, due to exams.

tuttleboy
11-23-2011, 09:04 AM
I guess I'll just put it down to not having played a game in a few weeks, due to exams.

Damn that school for getting in the way of fun!!

:D