PDA

View Full Version : Shooting whilst engaged

mcpolle
11-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Hi there,
Question about tonight's game, was trying some new models, so got myself so confused, could not even find the rules in the rule book :-) Typical noob, I hear you say, but still.

The question is,

I have a jack, that has reach, also ha a gun, now, how does it work, am I engaged, if I have reach and he does not?? Does this stop me from shooting??

Or is it, that he does not engage me, so I am free to shoot,

Hope you understand my rambling, you can see how I confused myself:-)

Cheers

Polle

NagashTheBlack
11-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Dont get engaging a model confused with being engaged. You are engaged if you in in an enemy models melee range, not because an enemy is in your melee range. You cannot shoot when engaged. Nothing in the rules stops you from shooting if you are engaging an enemy model (only). Though this is, in general, not very common.

hausdorff space
11-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Dont get engaging a model confused with being engaged. You are engaged if you in in an enemy models melee range, not because an enemy is in your melee range. You cannot shoot when engaged. Nothing in the rules stops you from shooting if you are engaging an enemy model (only). Though this is, in general, not very common.I don't have prime/al on hand to check (but have checked the MkII beta) ... but, outside of special rules, you cannot make ranged attacks while in Melee; which means while engaging or engaged.

Valander
11-23-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't have prime/al on hand to check (but have checked the MkII beta) ... but, outside of special rules, you cannot make ranged attacks while in Melee; which means while engaging or engaged.
This is correct (see Prime, p. 56).

Falkman
11-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Dont get engaging a model confused with being engaged. You are engaged if you in in an enemy models melee range, not because an enemy is in your melee range. You cannot shoot when engaged. Nothing in the rules stops you from shooting if you are engaging an enemy model (only). Though this is, in general, not very common.
Not completely correct.
You are engaging a model when that model is in your melee range. You are engaged by a model when you are in that model's melee range. You are in melee if you are either engaged or engaging (or both).
Being in melee prevents you from shooting.

tutenkharnage
11-24-2011, 08:07 AM
From page 31 of the mini-rulebook (MRB):

Definition of "engaged": "When a model is within an enemy model's melee range and in that model's line of sight, it is engaged in combat and primarily concerned with fighting its nearest threat."
Definition of "engaging": "When a model has an enemy model in its melee range and line of sight, it is engaging that model."
Definition of "in melee": "When a model is either engaged or engaging, it is in melee, which prevents it from making ranged attacks."

This came up in a game I played last night. One of my Shocktroopers (Reach) was engaging a Praetorian Swordsman (0.5" melee range), but was not engaged. However, the Swordsman was still "in melee," so I would have had to apply a -4 modifier for the "target in melee" penalty.

Spacejunky
11-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Also remember the one rule that allows for shooting while in melee "engaged or engaging" which is Gunfighter. So if you have gunfighter, you can shoot, but I believe it has to be the target you are in melee with.

bStyker
11-24-2011, 08:27 AM
... and 0.5" range.

vintersbastard
11-24-2011, 09:08 AM
... and 0.5" range.
More specifically: models in melee range (which can be 2" if the Gunfighter has a weapon with Reach).

mcpolle
11-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Thx, but now I am more confused than ever:-(

Polle

Valander
11-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Thx, but now I am more confused than ever:-(

Polle
About which part? For now, don't think about all the special rules like gunfighter. Basically, without a special rule on the model that allows otherwise, you cannot make ranged attacks if you are in melee. You are in melee if you are engaging an enemy model (it is in your melee range) or if you are engaged (you are in an enemy model's melee range). Does that help?

mcpolle
11-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes, thank you:-)

I mistakingly thought it was different, but glad to have it cleared up.

Polle