PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at Vayl while she is engaged

juckto
11-25-2011, 04:24 PM
I played against the new legion caster last night, and this came up. Her special rule reads something like "when an enemy model declares a ranged attack against this model, before the attack roll is made this model makes a ranged attack against the enemy model. If the attack hits, the enemy model's next ranged attack automatically misses"

Can she do this while she is in melee?
Theory being that, in cases of rule conflicts, special rules override normal rules.

drachenfels
11-25-2011, 04:39 PM
she has the same rule that Holt does (Aiyana's bodyguard) so you may wana check the Merc forum for existing rulings on the ability.

vintersbastard
11-25-2011, 04:39 PM
As far as I can tell, no, she shouldn't be able to take the shot while in melee.

Usually, special rules note which general rules they supercede (and in this case that would be the fact that she can take this attack at all, since that's not covered by the general rules).

PS: the rule in question is Quick Draw, by the way.

Dragons_Daughter
11-25-2011, 04:43 PM
She has gunfighter, same as Typhon, which I believe allows her to shoot while in melee.

Edit: checked, gunfighter means ranged in melee but only within her melee range. So no, she shouldn't get it as far as I see unless it overrides the melee rule somehow, but it doesn't says she "always" gets this shot, which is important in determining an override.

nachtnebel
11-25-2011, 05:00 PM
The rule we are talking about is Quick Draw.

Quick Draw doesn't override any requirements for making ranged attacks, so no, if eVayl is in melee while someone targets her with a ranged attack she can't use Quick Draw unless, since she also has Gunfighter, the attacker is also within her melee range.

Siranaul
11-25-2011, 08:12 PM
If I remember right, you can't fire at a target you are not engaged with while in gunfighter range.