PDA

View Full Version : Damage Cataclysm spell

Clan
12-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Cataclysm 4 8 5 20 No Yes
Target enemy model is automatically hit. Reduce the base POW of Cataclysm by 1 for each full inch between the target and this
model. Blast damage affects only enemy models. Cataclysm has no effect if the target model is out of range.

Es.
Target spell pow20 all enemy model in AOE pow20 or pow10 ?

Thx

Valander
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
You reduce the POW for every inch of range to the target. Normal blast damage rules apply, since the spell does not say "all models within the AOE suffer POW X damage roll" or similar.

So, for example, if the target model is 6" away, and you directly hit it, it will take a POW (20-6) = POW 14 hit, and blast damage of POW 7 on other enemy models in the AOE.

LordRavurion
12-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Does that also means that if I cast it throught a node and target is 25 inch away from harbinger it would get a -5 damageroll, but the blast would be -2??

That would be a first with blast damage having higher strength then direct hit target..

Pinegulf
12-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Does that also means that if I cast it throught a node and target is 25 inch away from harbinger it would get a -5 damageroll, but the blast would be -2??No. The POW is reduced by the range from the caster to target, not origin to target. Using Node doesn't affect the POW or blast POW at all.

nachtnebel
12-07-2011, 01:00 AM
It has no direct impact on the POW, but since your target can be further away from the Harbinger if you are channeling the spell, it still can affect the POW indirectly.

And to answer LordRavurion's question: Yes, if your target is more than 20 inch away from the Harbinger, the blast would do more damage than the direct hit. (Or did I miss an errata on this one?)

KnightoNi1894
12-07-2011, 04:20 AM
If the target is more than twenty inches away from the cater it would be a pow 0 attack.

Knight

jandrese
12-07-2011, 09:46 AM
The POW can go negative. This was ruled upon awhile back, and yes, the blast is more powerful than the attack when that happens.

Valander
12-07-2011, 09:59 AM
The POW can go negative. This was ruled upon awhile back, and yes, the blast is more powerful than the attack when that happens.
Have a link for that ruling?

Edit:

Nevermind. I confirmed the POW can be negative, and when that happens math says the blast can indeed be higher, since 1/2 of -2 is -1, for example. Note though that should crop up extremely rarely.

Lanz
12-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Have a link for that ruling?

Edit:

Nevermind. I confirmed the POW can be negative, and when that happens math says the blast can indeed be higher, since 1/2 of -2 is -1, for example. Note though that should crop up extremely rarely.

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?11494-Harbinger&highlight=harbinger+cataclysm+blast

I think it's the only instance of blast damage being higher than base damage, and the only instance of damage going into a negetive.

Pinegulf
12-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Nevermind. I confirmed the POW can be negative, and when that happens math says the blast can indeed be higher, since 1/2 of -2 is -1, for example. Note though that should crop up extremely rarely. I'd presume that negative POW doesn't actually heal you units? (Yeah, even rarer option, but one never knows... )

Valander
12-07-2011, 11:00 PM
I'd presume that negative POW doesn't actually heal you units? (Yeah, even rarer option, but one never knows... )No, it won't heal you, since it doesn't work like that.

You roll 2d6, add POW, and compare to ARM. For each point above ARM, you take one damage. Even if you were at -4 POW and rolled a 2, that would be -2 total which is not exceeding ARM anything, so no damage.

jameslsummers
12-07-2011, 11:42 PM
what about the line in the spell that says cataclysm has no affect if target is out of range(20")? doesnt that mean the best you can get is pow 0?

Valander
12-08-2011, 12:00 AM
what about the line in the spell that says cataclysm has no affect if target is out of range(20")? doesnt that mean the best you can get is pow 0?
The range is not 20". RNG is 8, but if it is being cast through an arc node, it is possible the distance from the Harbinger will be more than the range.

I think this has run its course.