PDA

View Full Version : Charging

genix
12-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi,

A couple friends and I have started playing Warmachine. We've had no end of getting the rules wrong, and most have been quick to figure out after the matches. Heres one which I don't know:

We declared a hill on the board to require 1" of movement to get up it. Having looked on iBodger, it reckons hills don't usually require this. Anyway, it was open terrain on top of the hill.

I charged up the hill. Maybe I shouldn't have been able to?

MKII rules reckon charging just needs LoS, and no rough terrain (check, and check!). iBodger says a prerequisite is no movement penalties.

I suppose technically the 1" required to get up would make it a movement penalty, and thus no charging allowed?

nachtnebel
12-06-2011, 07:58 PM
A movement penalty is anything that reduces your movement, like -2 SPD. Rough terrain on the other hand just requires you to spend two inches of your movement in order to move one, that´s not a movement penalty.

If you are using special terrain you need to declare all its effects before the game starts, so the "1 inch to get up" only prohibits charges if you've all agreed on it.

Geekly
12-07-2011, 05:48 AM
It's up to the players involved how you'll treat different terrain. You're obligated to discuss terrain features prior to the game and agree on what the different terrain features represent. For example, which features grant concealment or cover.

Normally, hills are not considered obstacles (Prime Mk II, pg 88). They generally don't impose movement penalties or provide cover or concealment. They can have stepped sides, or not. If they do have stepped sides, you can agree that the side represents an obstacle, or that it doesn't. But again, that's something you "must" discuss with your opponent and agree on.

It could be that you're implicitly treating the edge of the hill as an obstacle without stating it explicitly. If you agree to do that, there are relevant rules for it. I'm quoting the text related to a charge.

From Prime Mk II, pg 87:

An advancing model suffers a movement penalty when it climbs atop an obstacle.

Remember that a charging model cannot pay this movement penalty, cannot climb an obstacle and ends its movement upon contact.

So, if you agree that the hillside is an obstacle, then you can't normally charge past it (without some special ability).

bitmatic
12-07-2011, 06:05 AM
MKII rules reckon charging just needs LoS, and no rough terrain (check, and check!).

This is wrong. Rough terrain does not prevent charging.

Geekly
12-07-2011, 06:21 AM
The relevant rule text:
A model suffering a penalty to its SPD or movement for any reason other than for being in rough terrain cannot charge, regardless of offsetting bonuses.

genix
12-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Thank you everyone, the question has been answered clearly.

One of our posse has played Warmachine previously, but it was a long time ago now. So we're using his memory of the older rules set combined with iBodger and the new rules set.

My confusion was stemming from the description of Pathfinder in iBodger which says a model ignores movement penalties from rough terrain and obstacles, and may charge across rough terrain.

Implied seemed to be that ordinarily a model could not. Further to that, rough terrain having a movement penalty would be the reason.

I'm guessing its just poor choice of wording. We shouldn't be reading too much into iBodger descriptions :)

jandrese
12-07-2011, 09:39 AM
The easiest way is to just treat hills like the book says: No movement penalties at all.