PDA

View Full Version : Units and engaged in combat

Karl Eller
12-08-2011, 01:39 AM
This came up in a game tonight: if one or more models are engaged in melee, is the whole unit engaged? Or can any models not in melee range shoot?

In this particular case, my unit of 4 widowmakers were charged by a troll heavy beast, and 3 were inside the troll's 2" melee range. Can the 4th widowmaker still make ranged shots?

Hjelmen0
12-08-2011, 01:50 AM
Can the 4th widowmaker still make ranged shots?Yes. Models are engaged/engaging/in melee on a model-by-model basis.

juckto
12-08-2011, 03:42 AM
Models are engaged/engaging/in melee on a model-by-model basis.
Also, models can choose their action (melee/ranged/special action) on a model-by-model basis.
Unless the unit commander gave an Order, in which case they all have to obey the order.

my unit of 4 widowmakers were charged by a troll heavy beast, and 3 were inside the troll's 2" melee range. Can the 4th widowmaker still make ranged shots?
All 4 can make ranged attacks. The first three just have to walk out of combat and survive the free strike first!

Azhdeen
12-08-2011, 04:33 AM
All 4 can make ranged attacks. The first three just have to walk out of combat and survive the free strike first!
Are the Widowmakers *engaging* in melee combat, i.e within 0.5" of the enemy model? If not, then they can shoot from where they are, claiming the +2 aiming bonus while they are at it.

Falkman
12-08-2011, 04:49 AM
Are the Widowmakers *engaging* in melee combat, i.e within 0.5" of the enemy model? If not, then they can shoot from where they are, claiming the +2 aiming bonus while they are at it.
Not true. He stated they were engaged by the Troll heavy, and thus they are in melee and can't shoot.

nachtnebel
12-08-2011, 04:51 AM
That's not correct, it doesn't matter if the model is engaging the enemy or is engaged by the enemy, as soon as a model is in melee it can't make any ranged attacks (except it has a certain special ability). In the TO's example 3 of the 4 Widowmakers are engaged by the beast and thus can't make ranged attacks.

hooligantuesday
12-08-2011, 08:21 AM
What happened was this

Widowmakers activated and declared shots against Doomshaper, the first one shot and hit him, Mulg then activated as a result of protective fit, wandered over and splattered the offending Widowmaker leaving two of them engaged with Mulg and the third one just outside of Mulg's reach.

We weren't sure if the unengaged dude could still take his shot, or if he had to forfeit it since his unit was now engaged in melee.

nachtnebel
12-08-2011, 08:27 AM
In this case: The third one could have taken his shot and the ones engaged by Mulg could have attacked him with their melee weapons (also this would be useless since their P+S is not high enough to beat Mulg's ARM). None of the models could have moved out of the Mulg's melee range, since the movement part of the units activation was already over.

Karl Eller
12-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Awesome, thanks. We couldn't find the rules regarding being engaged/in melee when we looked (turns out it's one paragraph hidden away in Page 51), so we ended up playing it like he couldn't shoot after I lost a "Who's right?" dice roll-off :P

Good to know in the future :)