PDA

View Full Version : Shanghai Hijinx

baronvonchaos
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
I was told in my last game that Shanghai plays differently than I read it.

Given: You successfully fulfill the requirements for shanghai (2+ models in combat boxing a living warrior non-warcaster model).

Apparent misconceptions that I had:
1) I thought that you could add the boxed model to any sea dog unit such as the Commodore crew or even as a Press Ganger. Just has to be a sea dogs.
I was told this wasn't true. Is that correct?

2) If you box a model, it must be placed within 3" of who boxed it, and in the command range of the friendly sea dog unit. Ergo, Mr Walls = cmd 8 so the new Sea Dog must be within 8 of Mr. Walls and completely within 3" of the friendly that boxed the model.

I was told that you measure command range from the Friendly model that attacked to Mr. Walls and if Mr. Walls isn't within 8" (for the PG's CMD) Shanghai fails.

Technically (as I read it), Mr Walls can be 11" away from a PG and still get Shanghai. Because Mr Walls' unit is definitely within command range of the PG's at even 11" away (if you count CMD overlap), but the boxed model must be completely within 3" of the PG who boxed. So actually, Mr. Walls needs to be anywhere just under 11".

juckto
12-20-2011, 01:16 PM
What is the wording of Shanghai?
Whose card is it on?

einraw
12-20-2011, 01:29 PM
1) You're incorrect. There is only one "Sea Dog Crew" unit, and that is the Sea Dog Crew. If the ability said only "Sea Dog unit" you would be correct.

2) You're correct. The Sea Dog Crew unit, not the Sea Dog Crew unit leader (Walls, in your example), has to be within the boxing model's command range. A unit is within a range if one model of the unit is within that range (precedent: targeting a unit with buffs). Only once you have confirmed that the Sea Dog Crew unit is within the boxing model's command range does Walls' command range come into play. Also, the ability says "within" not "completely within" so the total range from Walls is closer to 12".

(edited to account for Universal_Exception's corrections)

majortusk
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
2) You're correct. The Sea Dog Crew unit, not the Sea Dog Crew unit leader (Walls, in your example), has to be within the Lass' command range. A unit is within a range if one model of the unit is within that range (precedent: targeting a unit with buffs). Only once you have confirmed that the Sea Dog Crew unit is within the Lass' command range does Walls' command range come into play. Also, the ability says "within" not "completely within" so the total range from Walls is closer to 12".

That is incorrect, The new sea dog model must be placed within 3" of the model that did the attack that boxed the enemy model (not Pressganger leader) and placed within command range of the Sea Dog unit leader that it is joining.

einraw
12-20-2011, 02:25 PM
That is incorrect, The new sea dog model must be placed within 3" of the model that did the attack that boxed the enemy model (not Pressganger leader) and placed within command range of the Sea Dog unit leader that it is joining.

How is this different from what I said?

Universal_Exception
12-20-2011, 03:26 PM
How is this different from what I said?

You specifically said it has to be within the CMD range of the Lass. Shanghai is an ability of all the grunts in that unit and all have CMD range of 8".

einraw
12-20-2011, 04:27 PM
You specifically said it has to be within the CMD range of the Lass. Shanghai is an ability of all the grunts in that unit and all have CMD range of 8".

That's a good point, though it's not what majortusk appears to be saying. I suspect you were both getting at the same thing, but his didn't really relate to the mistake I made in my post.

majortusk
12-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Shanghai - When a living enemy warrior model in melee range of 2 or more models in this unit is boxed by a melee attack made by this model, remove the enemy model from play. you can add one Grunt to a friendly Sea Dog Crew unit in this model's command range. The Grunt must be placed in formation and within 3" of this model.

I had thought you had said you place the model within the command of the lass. I was just clarifying that it is placed in formation of the Sea Dog Crew unit (within command of the model that did the killing) and within 3" of the model that did the killing

baronvonchaos
12-21-2011, 10:07 AM
P
X
P--S-------W

Given a "-" = 1inch
So here's my crappy drawing using text. If 2 PG's box model X. They can place a Sea Dog "S" within 8" of Walls "W". Within 3" of the Attacking/boxing model and in formation with the Sea Dogs Crew. Since models within 8" (CMD range) of Walls are "in formation." Is anything left unsatisfied for this rule?