PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead Cavalry Charging through Halberdiers (stannis)

Rustoof
12-20-2011, 11:33 AM
If i charge through halberdiers while in stannis's command under what circumstances must i make impact attacks?

The first model i hit? If i end up base to base with one of my models? None?

MagnustheJust
12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
First enemy model/models your cavalry come into base contact with. Steelhead Tactician allows you to ignore the Halbies...

Wulfy
12-20-2011, 11:38 AM
The way I understand you can use the tactician to run through the steelhead rifleman, through the steelhead halbidiers, then impact the Temple Flame Guard then kill them and hit and make charge attacks against the Exemplar Errants standing behind them. At least that is what the damn things did to me last night.

MagnustheJust
12-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Hurts, don't it...

Yup, the above is a textbook example of how this is done!!

Vicomte Athos
12-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Do you still make impact attacks doing this if there is no room for the cavalry models base?

einraw
12-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Do you still make impact attacks doing this if there is no room for the cavalry models base?

No. Models must stop moving in order to make impact attacks and you can't stop moving on top of another model.

MFWalter
12-20-2011, 02:19 PM

No. Models must stop moving in order to make impact attacks and you can't stop moving on top of another model.

So if you run into some enemy models and do not have room to place your cavalry bases you CANNOT use impact hits to clear out room to place model or charge past. (To clarify the interaction)

EX: Charging a line of Long Gunners hiding behind a unit of Precursor Knights who are engaged with the Steelhead Halberdiers you CANNOT pass through the Halberdiers, make impact hits against the Precursors (to clear the charge lanes) then ride into the Long Gunners UNLESS there is enough space between the Precursors and the Halberdier to place the Cavalry during the impact hits.

pattison
12-27-2011, 07:36 AM
The way I understand you can use the tactician to run through the steelhead rifleman, through the steelhead halbidiers, then impact the Temple Flame Guard then kill them and hit and make charge attacks against the Exemplar Errants standing behind them. At least that is what the damn things did to me last night.
It felt embarrassingly good to read this...

baronvonchaos
12-27-2011, 08:26 AM
EX: Charging a line of Long Gunners hiding behind a unit of Precursor Knights who are engaged with the Steelhead Halberdiers you CANNOT pass through the Halberdiers, make impact hits against the Precursors (to clear the charge lanes) then ride into the Long Gunners UNLESS there is enough space between the Precursors and the Halberdier to place the Cavalry during the impact hits.

Yes, anyone know how this resolves? I just picked up a SH retinue and I now need to know if I can only run them with Macbain's Fortune on them to make them do anything.

If you have a unit of Halberdiers tying up the Precursors at varying distances under 2", you can't fit a large base in there to use the impact attack thus making Stannis semi-worthless. Doesn't matter if you can charge through your models, you can't place your base anywhere if you fail an impact attack.
I haven't run Cav very much so I may just be missing some rules.

Alph
12-27-2011, 08:44 AM
A quick (but accurate scale wise) diagram of how to get the flank on the impact hits.

This is heading towards tactical tips rather than rules though.

ShockwaveIIC
12-27-2011, 10:14 AM

If you have a unit of Halberdiers tying up the Precursors at varying distances under 2", you can't fit a large base in there to use the impact attackQuite correct, you either fit the base, or you can not do it.

thus making Stannis semi-worthless.Debatable else where.

Doesn't matter if you can charge through your models, you can't place your base anywhere if you fail an impact attack. Failing the attack has nothing to do with it, if you can not place the model, you do not get to make the attack.

baronvonchaos
12-27-2011, 10:36 AM
My thought: So placing of your Halberdiers is important. Stannis' tactician is then useless due to the rules of cav charging. Am I missing something? How does this work?

Dawnlord Ed
12-27-2011, 12:06 PM
My thought: So placing of your Halberdiers is important. Stannis' tactician is then useless due to the rules of cav charging. Am I missing something? How does this work?

This is a question for the Merc Forums. Devilsquid and Magnus will both educate you at length (or atleast point you toward their tacticas).

Valander
12-27-2011, 12:26 PM
You must be able to legally place the model's base. Melee range is measured from where the model actually is, not a theoretical where it could be.

Looks like original question is answered, please keep tactics discussions to the faction forums.