PDA

View Full Version : Rerolls!

Binz
01-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Hey guys, the other day I was playing Morty and WSC, and came across an interesting discussion with rerolls.

What, exactly, does it let you reroll?

Say Puppet Master for example, Im trying to hit someone with Doom Spiral and I need 10's. I roll 6, 2, 1.

With Puppet Master, can I reroll the 2 and 1, and keep the 6, or must I reroll the whole thing?

Also, same with Puppet Master on an enemy, and "Recalibration", Morty's feat.

How does this work if Puppet Master and Recalibration are on the same model? You cannot reroll a Dice roll more than once due to Recalibration, so you *can* reroll it more than once due to puppet master?

Sorry if this should be in the rules forum, I thought it was more a discussion topic than a straight rules question.

Stas-of-Moscow
01-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Puppet master specifically says that you can reroll one or more dice of your choice - this allows you to reroll one d6 from a bundle of three, for example.

Recalibration speaks of the attack and damage rolls, so I think you have to reroll all dice rolled.

juckto
01-15-2012, 02:57 AM
Puppet Master: Reroll one or more dice of your choice.
Recalibration: Can reroll attack and damage rolls.
Rerolls (pg 65): Multiple reroll effects can come into play on the same roll.

You can make your initial roll, then puppet master one (or more) dice, then recalibrate the whole roll. Puppet Master expired when you used it, so you can't use it a second time.
Or you can make your initial roll, then recalibrate the whole roll, then puppet master one (or more dice). You've already recalibrated, so you can't do it again.

ajay29
01-15-2012, 08:09 AM
I always thought the age-old 'you can't reroll a reroll' was in effect, but if not then this is something I'll need to bring out!

Binz
01-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Ok, so Recalibration you must reroll all the dice - then puppet master can pick and choose which dice to reroll.

Good to know. This makes for some excellent chances of successful attacks with Mortenebra and WSC.

... Anyone want to do the maths on how likely it is that Nightmare will kill Iron Fleshed pButcher? hahahaha.

3 Attempts at hitting, thats pretty decent. If you even just needed 7's to hit, and didnt boost, 58% chance to hit. If you missed, reroll all dice again, and you have a cumulative 83% chance to hit (.42x.42), if you missed again, you could reroll all dice (say your reroll was trip 1s) a third time, and have a cumulative chance to hit of 93%.

Thats not even including 3D6, or other numbers where you need to hit, where it would increase your chances of hitting pretty close to 100%, or even close to 50% for some hard to reach numbers.

solkan
01-15-2012, 12:18 PM
I always thought the age-old 'you can't reroll a reroll' was in effect, but if not then this is something I'll need to bring out!

Page two of the 40K rulebook (one of the places that I know says you can't re-roll a re-roll) isn't "age-old". :p If it's not a Warmachine or Hordes rule, it doesn't count.