PDA

View Full Version : Question on Intervening Models

Mountains of Madness
01-17-2012, 07:37 PM
In a recent game, I lost when an axer with reach attacked my Kreoss2. According to the rules, the Axer had line of sight to my caster, but also there was in intervening model (my Devout). Does an intervening model mean anything? I took my devensive attack with the Devout, but without a scratch on the Axer, it barely did any real damage with the hit.

The setup (I wish I had drawn a picture to post) was my caster base to base with the Devout, and the Devout was off center enough so that the Axer was making a direct charge at my Caster, and the Axer's movement ended base to base with my Devout. Did the intervening model count as anything at all in prevention of an attack on my caster behind the Devout, or was I just SOL and the attack was completely valid after my defensive strike?

regleant
01-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Better to ask this in the RULES forum. Nonetheless...

It sounds like you played that correctly. The charging Axer charged eKreoss, and ended within melee range with Line of Sight (any part of Axer's base unobstructed to eKroess' base). The Devout doesn't help prevent attacks on eKroess. It is entirely legal to be in melee with multiple models, and every model that is both in your LOS and melee range.

And from experience, it's really difficult to prevent a model with reach from getting into melee range...

Mountains of Madness
01-17-2012, 08:06 PM
That's definitely how we played it, because that seemed to be the right call. The wording in the book made me wonder about the purpose of the "intervening model" rule when it wouldn't really matter if there was an intervening model or not.

Poppabear40
01-18-2012, 06:45 AM
yea glad we played it right.. I was more worried about doing it right as it ended up being the game.

Circle noob
01-18-2012, 08:23 AM
as lang as a model can see another model and has the other model in its melee range, it can attack the model.

if your kreoss would have been completely blocked by the devout, the axer would not have had a line of sight and therfore could not have attacked kreoss. as i understand you, it was possible to draw an unobstructed line from your opponents base to kreoss' base.
so everything seems legit.

Valander
01-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Yup, to make a melee attack you must satisfy two things:

1. Have LOS to the target model.
2. Be in melee range.

If those are met, pummel away!