PDA

View Full Version : SR2012 Variable Round Timings

Rez
01-17-2012, 09:20 PM
So reading the new rulespack, the variable round length has me confused. Quoting from page 4.

"Each round in a Steamroller event has a variable round length. Before each round begins, the EO rolls a d3 and multiplies the result by the variable, the turn extension length for the event size. He then rolls a d6 to determine whether the variable will be subtracted or added to the base round length to determine the overall round length".

So using a 50 point game as an example. Base round length is 100 minutes, extension is 5 minutes. So you roll a d3 and multiply that by the variable (5-15 mins). You then roll a d6 and add or subtract the variable.

This is where I get confused. The variable was previously stated as being the extension (5 mins in this case). So when adding or subtracting the variable, your only adding or subtracting 5 mins? This would make the total round time between 100-120 mins. My PG and other locals thought the d3 x variable result would be added or subtracted depending on the d6 result, giving a round time of between 85-115 mins.

This is further confused by the table directly below the quoted paragraph. It states a variable roll of 1-3 results in the Overall Round Length being Base -1 extension. A result of 4-6 results in Base +1 extension. What is the purpose of rolling the d3 and multiplying it by the variable, if the table then states a round will only be +/- 5 mins (at 50 points) on base length?

Not understanding this section at all.

solkan
01-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Which version of the rules are you quoting from? The SR2012Final.pdf says:

Each round in a Steamroller event has a variable round length. Before each round begins, the EO rolls a d3 and multiplies the result by the variable, the turn extension length for the event size. He then rolls a d6 to determine whether the variable will be subtracted from (on a result of 1?3) or added to (on a result of 4?6) the base round length (shown above) to determine the overall round length.

I'm not sure how you're getting 100-120 minutes for your example, since if you were adding and subtracting just a single extension it would be 95 (100-5) to 105 (100+5). If you multiply by the D3, you could get a variance as wide as 85 (100-15) to 115 (100+15) before adding on any adjustments for reinforcements and such.

I think that the wording is supposed to be something like "The EO rolls a D3 and multiples the result by the turn extension length to determine the variability." and then the rest should say to add or subtract the variability. Otherwise, like you say, it's multiplying one value by another and then discarding the result. :confused:

ForestZ
01-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm with you Rez. I read that part and just thought "man, I'm glad I'm not running any tournies."

Rez
01-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I got confused while typing it all out. I thought it stated that you do the d3 x variable, then add that result to base round length, then add or subtract one extension from round time (giving 100-120). It actually doesn't mention doing anything at all with the d3 x variable result, it's simple round length +/- one extension...

tuttleboy
01-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Base round length = X

Extension (Variable) = Y

(Roll d3) x Y = Z (Base round length modifier)

Roll d6 1-3, subtract Z from X. 4-6, add Z to X.

Basically the round length can be 1 to 3 times longer or shorter than the turn extension length. Not the best wording, but I'm betting it'll get fixed for clarities sake in the SR 2013 document...if there's anything left after 12-12-12 that is. :D

Rez
01-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Thats how I originally thought it would work (and that makes the most sense), but its not supported by whats written in the rules pack. As it is written, the result of the d3 x variable result is never used in working out the overall round time...

Forum needs a Hacksaw spotlight. :p

Hacksaw76
01-18-2012, 04:13 AM
Base round length = X

Extension (Variable) = Y

(Roll d3) x Y = Z (Base round length modifier)

Roll d6 1-3, subtract Z from X. 4-6, add Z to X.

Basically the round length can be 1 to 3 times longer or shorter than the turn extension length. Not the best wording, but I'm betting it'll get fixed for clarities sake in the SR 2013 document...if there's anything left after 12-12-12 that is. :D

This is correct. Multiply the extension length by a d3. Then add or subtract that amount from the base round time.