PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Eye & Swamp Horror's Animus: Friendly Faction on Mercenary

Skorpius47
01-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Forgive me if there is already a thread. I did a few Advanced forum searches for various key words and came up with nothing. I checked out the first couple of pages of this forum area and nada.

At my LGS, I was told there was a discussion about Wrong Eye using Swamp Horror's Animus on Mercenary models.

The Swamp Horror's Animus states it targets Friendly Faction Models.
Swamp Horror is a Minion model.
However, Wrong Eye is a Minion Mercenary model.
If Wrong Eye, a Mercenary Minion, uses an Animus on a strictly Minion Warbeast, can he target Mercenary models?

The logic was that, because the Animus is written on a Minion card, it cannot target non-Minion models.

However, on pg73 of Primal MkII:
"the warlock who controls the warbeast can treat the animus as if it were one of his own spells while the warbeast is in his control area."

It seems to me that when Wrong Eye uses Swamp Horror's Animus, it would be treated as if it were one of his spells, and that would allow him to target friendly Miinion models and friendly Mercenary models because he is a Minion Mercenary.

I'm not too familiar with Hordes and the whole Animus thing, since I only have experience with WE&SJ, so I could be interpreting this rule incorrectly.

Lamoron
01-20-2012, 12:15 AM
I see nothing preventing you from throwing reach on mercenary models. Alexia becomes interesting with reach, and Bart becomes an unholy terror, but I don't think it's worth it most of the time.

Ranhothep
01-20-2012, 12:42 AM
This is legitimate. It's quite possible your search didn't find this question yet, because this particular interaction has been resolved some while ago with the combination of Wrong Eye and a Bull Snapper's Spiny Growth on mercenary models.

Skorpius47
01-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Would it be a case of checking target validity based on the model casting the animus and not the origin of the animus itself?

In this instance, because Wrong Eye is the one casting the animus and thus treats the animus as if it were one of his own spells, because he is a Mercenary Minion, he would be able to target Mercenary models.

Skorpius47
01-20-2012, 12:46 AM
This is legitimate. It's quite possible your search didn't find this question yet, because this particular interaction has been resolved some while ago with the combination of Wrong Eye and a Bull Snapper's Spiny Growth on mercenary models.

I thought as much. I did a search for Bull Snapper, Spiny Browth, and Mercenary a little after I posted this thread and it came right up.

Ranhothep
01-20-2012, 12:47 AM
Would it be a case of checking target validity based on the original of the cast animus and not the origin of the animus itself?

In this instance, because Wrong Eye is the one casting the animus and thus treats the animus as if it were one of his own spells, because he is a Mercenary Minion, he would be able to target Mercenary models.

Precisely. The Swamp Horror could only target members of Wrong Eye's Battlegroup and/or another lesser warlock's in case they were present in an army, since he, unlike Wrong Eye, doesn't have "mercenary" in his model description.

Skorpius47
01-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Alright, cool! Thanks for the clarifications and confirmations. Much appreciated!

Lamoron
01-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Mmm, Brine with Reach... Wrong Eye with PS 17 Reach...

MagnustheJust
01-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Mmm, Brine with Reach... Wrong Eye with PS 17 Reach...

Pssssttt!! Snackjaw, not Wrong Eye...