PDA

View Full Version : Double melee attack in a unit.

Booogeyman
01-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Double melee attack in a unit.

How can I choose the order of the attacks in
the "Daughters of the flame".
For example:
Daughter A hit one attack.
Daughter B hits two attacks.
Daughter C hits two attacks.
Daughter A hit her last attack.

Or must the Daughter beat their attacks finished
before the next Daughter beat their attacks?

solkan
01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Because the Daughters of the Flame has Combined Melee Attack, yes, you can. Combined Melee Attack say so.

Link to quotes and more links: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?91771-Combined-Melee-Attacks-amp-multiple-attacks&p=1228599&viewfull=1#post1228599

The search results for 'combined melee attack'. https://privateerpressforums.com/search.php?searchid=1805359

Satyxis raiders end up running into the same situation (CMA and two melee attacks) and just happened to be discussed more, I guess.

ForestZ
01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
I don't think that's quite what he's asking, and I don't think what he's asking is possible. He's not doing any CMA's in his example. If you're doing CMA's, you can indeed "borrow" against attacks from other models who have not yet activated, or against models that have activated but "saved" an attack for a later model to use as part of a CMA. But if those saved attacks from models that already finished their activations aren't used by a later models CMA, they are lost. You don't get to go back to the previous model and use any unspent attacks.

You must use all attacks during a models activation, except for attacks you are, essentially, saving to contribute to a CMA led by another model who has yet to activate. You cannot split your models activation (and thus attacks) up to span another models activation.

solkan
01-30-2012, 02:42 PM
You must use all attacks during a models activation, except for attacks you are, essentially, saving to contribute to a CMA led by another model who has yet to activate. You cannot split your models activation (and thus attacks) up to span another models activation.

False. I have explicitly asked this and got Valander's ruling that it is permissible. It is part of what Combined Melee Attack does. See https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?85942-Timing-for-CMA-s-when-charging&p=1188262&viewfull=1#post1188262 where Valander highlights the appropriate sections in red.

You can split up the attacks however you would like and their combat actions can overlap however you would like them to, and you only declare the attacks as they are performed. And no borrowing at all is required.

ForestZ
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Huh...interesting. Although I guess part of my understanding was correct (what I wrote would be correct for any unit without CMA), but CMA units actually violate my basic understanding of the rules, even if they're not performing a CMA. Good to know!

Michael
01-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Just a quick note: the entire unit is activated as a group; they do not activate individually. (This is sometimes an important rules distinction.)

The relevant bits you need are found in Prime MK II, page 43-43, under "Activating Units"

After resolving the normal movement of each activated trooper, each trooper can then make its action, one trooper at a time. ... After one trooper resolves its action, another can begin its action.

However, the linked rulings and Prime MK II page 62 explain how this all works with Combined Melee Attack. Solkan has it right.

solkan
01-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Yep, it all comes down to the CMA rule saying that they get to ignore that rule and thus get to overlap their combat actions.

Units with Combined Melee Attack ignore the rule that one trooper’s combat action cannot begin until the previous model’s combat action ends.