PDA

View Full Version : Is it impossible to assist repair a Battle Engine?

BadHouse
01-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Is it impossible to assist repair a battle engine? To clarify the question, yes, I am aware of the "Serviceable" rule in the Wrath book regarding battle engines that allows them to be the target of repairs.

However, when looking at the Gobber Mechanic card, the grunts have two options:
- Repair - This works on battle engines, obviously.
- Assist Repair - This states that you must be base to base with a friendly warjack.

My assumption is that assist repair does not work on a Battle Engine. Thanks for the feedback.

MagnustheJust
01-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Battle Engines came waaaaay after the assist rule was written. But yes, you can assist repair the BE - it is treated as a really big warjack for the purposes of the rep[air attempt.

Blaque
01-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Battle Engines came waaaaay after the assist rule was written. But yes, you can assist repair the BE - it is treated as a really big warjack for the purposes of the rep[air attempt.

This is incorrect. Serviceable notes they can be repaired by models with the Repair rule. At note point does it say they count as warjacks for purposes of rules that cite them.

Since Assist specifically denotes warjacks, and battle engines are not warjacks, it is as the OP thought: the rule cannot be used when attempting to repair a battle engine.

And stuff.

jlav
01-30-2012, 08:04 PM
I would think that an Assist Repair is still a "repair" ability. The repair ability specifically states that the model needs to be B2B with a friendly faction warjack also, but I would expect serviceable to apply to all repair abilities. I realize that assist repair is a different action from the simple repair ability, but it's a repair plain and simple. PP might feel differently and I'll let an infernal decide.

DonJean
01-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Would you let gobbo near that thing unspervised?

But no I suspect this will be the same as the Armor Piercing rule in that no you cannot use bodge. Battle Engines are their own class of model.

DemonCalibre
01-30-2012, 08:36 PM
I think you mean Burst Fire.....Armor Piercing works on Battle Engines just fine.

BadHouse
01-30-2012, 08:46 PM
I would think that an Assist Repair is still a "repair" ability. The repair ability specifically states that the model needs to be B2B with a friendly faction warjack also, but I would expect serviceable to apply to all repair abilities. I realize that assist repair is a different action from the simple repair ability, but it's a repair plain and simple. PP might feel differently and I'll let an infernal decide.

I hope this is right, makes sense to me! That, and I can't think of a reason that PP would want to nerf Gobber Mechanics of all things.

MagnustheJust
01-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Battle Engines came waaaaay after the assist rule was written. But yes, you can assist repair the BE - it is treated as a really big warjack for the purposes of the repair attempt.

This is incorrect. Serviceable notes they can be repaired by models with the Repair rule. At note point does it say they count as warjacks for purposes of rules that cite them.

Since Assist specifically denotes warjacks, and battle engines are not warjacks, it is as the OP thought: the rule cannot be used when attempting to repair a battle engine.

Context & comprehension laddie...

The highlighted part is the key quantifier. I never said it counted as a warjack.

solkan
01-30-2012, 11:47 PM
If you take the rules as simply meaning what they say and saying exactly what they mean, Repair and Assist Repair are two completely different rules, and Serviceable says:

Friendly Faction models with the Repair ability can attempt to repair damaged battle engines. To attempt repairs, the model with Repair must be in base-to-base contact with the damaged battle engine and make a skill check. If successful, remove d6 damage points from the battle engine.

There aren't any fancy present tense verbs or highlighted terms or counts-as or anything, just permission for a model with a specific skill to do something with it that isn't otherwise included in that skill's text.

And the end result of all of that is that Assist Repair does nothing to a battle engine because Serviceable doesn't say anything about it.

MagnustheJust
01-30-2012, 11:50 PM
There aren't any fancy present tense verbs or highlighted terms or counts-as or anything, just permission for a model with a specific skill to do something with it.

Was talking about my initial post, not the repair or assist rule wordings...

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/images/smilies/nod.gif

Thenmy
01-30-2012, 11:54 PM
The rules do exactly what they say - nothing more, nothing less. Assist Repair doesn't work on battle engines.

solkan
01-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Was talking about my initial post, not the repair or assist rule wordings...

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/images/smilies/nod.gif

But that's the (increasingly pedantic) point. :cool: :Imm-Fire: The Repair skill doesn't actually "work" on the battle engine, and the battle engine isn't treated as anything. Serviceable just gives the model permission to make a Repair skill check to do something to the battle engine (something unrelated enough to the Repair skill that Serviceable has to completely describe what happens).

Can you remove damage from the battle engine? Yes.
Do you need the Repair skill to do that? If you're taking advantage of Serviceable.
Is this thread well past preaching to the choir? You betcha.

jlav
01-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Serviceable "...models with the repair ability can attempt to repair damaged battle engines"

Serviceable says nothing about a repair action, it references an ability. Abilities grant actions, not the other way around. Bodgers have the repair ability, thereby I see any action that can repair should be applicable to battle engines.

Valander
01-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Checking. Though I have an opinion on how it should work by RAW.

poeticruse
02-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Answer is:

We're clarifying at this time that Assist Repair is under the umbrella of Repair and is intended to work.

Additionally, infernal staff has assessed other abilities. Bodge (Halfjack) & Pit Stop (Darius' Feat) mention warjacks intentionally, are not under the umbrella of repair, and do not work.