PDA

View Full Version : covering fire question

Fragelrock
02-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Can you place the manticore's covering fire template centered directly on the manticore itself?
This is more broadly a question of are you in your own range/LOS and I can't find that answer.

Additionally I am assuming he would take the damage too as he'd end his activation in the template.

quindraco
02-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Please post the exact wording of covering fire, it makes it easier to answer your question.

Siranaul
02-01-2012, 08:23 AM
No, because covering fire says the AOE has to be completely within range. You measure range from the base edge.

Geekly
02-01-2012, 10:16 AM
A model doesn't have LOS to itself, which is required to place Covering Fire. So, you can't place the AOE template inside its base.

I direct you to this thread (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?40375-Easy-LOS-question)

solkan
02-01-2012, 11:30 AM
One of the sticking points for the Manticore's Covering Fire ability is the second sentence of Covering Fire:

The center point of the AOE must be in this model's LOS, ignoring intervening models.

In order to draw line of sight to something arbitrary, you take the LINE OF SIGHT rules from page 43 of Prime Mk II and replace all instances of the term Model B with whatever you're trying to draw line of sight to, and make any minor allowances for grammar and such.

In the following descriptions, Model A is determining LOS to Model B.

1. Draw a straight line from any part of Model A's volume to any part of Model B's volume that is within Model A's front arc.

The end result is: The center of the AOE has to be in the model's front arc to be in LOS, and the front arc extends outward only.

The thread that Geekly links to includes TheUnknownMercenary confirming that a model does not have LOS to itself. That would follow from the fact that a model is not in its own front arc.