PDA

View Full Version : burrowing and vertical distance

nublet
02-12-2012, 12:23 PM
This situation came up last night. Do burrowing units need to worry about vertical distances when considering movement?

tuttleboy
02-12-2012, 01:19 PM
The only thing I've seen is on PG 46 in the Movement section where it talks about "measurements from the front of an advancing model's base" and a bit later where it says "The distance moved is absolute".

solkan
02-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Looking for references to elevation, there's page 51:

When a model makes a melee attack against a model 1" or less higher or lower, ignore the vertical distance between the two models when determining melee range.

The extension of that is that you measure the actual distance through space (thus including both the horizontal and vertical distances) unless told otherwise.

vintersbastard
02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Well, most measurements in Warmachine and Hordes work three-dimensional, so vertical distance counts just the same as horizontal (or rather, the direct distance).
Did you have anything specific in mind?

nublet
02-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm kind of new to the game so I can't remember the exact name of the units, but they were some small Trollblood models that could burrow. One guy teleported his Cygnar caster up onto a tower and then the Trollblood guy wanted his burrowers (which could move 5" if I recall) to be able to pop-up on top of the tower counting only the 2D distance to come into play during the movement. The tower was taller than 5" however, so there was some discussion about whether the vertical distance came into play.

juckto
02-12-2012, 05:01 PM
iirc, burrowers can't burrow in man-made structures or anything that is declared to be "stone", so that'd make the question moot.

I could be completely making stuff up though.

nublet
02-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Theoretically, what if it was a very tall, strange hill or something...

jlav
08-18-2012, 04:10 PM
iirc, burrowers can't burrow in man-made structures or anything that is declared to be "stone", so that'd make the question moot.

I think you're thinking of "Dig in" which cannot be done on solid rock or man-made constructions. Burrowers have no such restriction in their rule.

Valander
08-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Looking for references to elevation, there's page 51:

The extension of that is that you measure the actual distance through space (thus including both the horizontal and vertical distances) unless told otherwise.
Correct; measure the absolute distance.

Tunneling (Order) - Before this unitʼs normal movement, replace the unit commander with the tunneling marker, then remove the remaining models in this unit from the table. Remove those that were not in formation from play. Effects on models in this unit expire. Then move the tunneling marker up to 5˝. During your next Maintenance Phase, place models in this unit within 5˝ of the tunneling marker and remove it from the table. Models that cannot be placed are removed from play. This unit cannot receive the Tunneling order if it received it during its last activation.
Note there is no restriction on "man made" or the like there. The Helldiver has an ability called Burrow which does have some other restrictions, however.

As usual, it's best to actually read the rules before posting an answer you're not sure of...

poeticruse
08-18-2012, 06:55 PM
locked as necro. New questions get new threads.