PDA

View Full Version : Towers and other multi level buildings

howlingfang
02-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I was going to post this in the thread about the teleporting wizard on top of the tower, but decided I didn't want to thread-jack.

To that question I was going to post: The questions aside, this is a rather crazy terrain setup you have here. Was there any other way to the top of the tower other than teleporting? If not, doesn't that make for a situation where the caster can't be killed?

This is one of the trickiest things about Warmahordes. With no rules for climbing and such I find it hard to use multilevel buildings as there is too much opportunity for small units to hide out where medium and larger bases can't get to. This becomes a bit of an issue for me as I mostly play against my son, who plays trolls. We want to use all the snazzy Mordheim terrain I have but we don't as there are too many structures I can plant my elves on that he can't get to with any of his models.

What do others do about this? How do you get small based casters (and other models) down off structures that only small based models can access the second and higher stories of.

Fang

CygnarCaster
02-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Whenever possible, I avoid using buildings that prevent models with bigger bases from entering.

However, if it's just the physical size of the entry point, just pretend, and house rule that the other models can fit through the door, or can move on that narrow walkway, or whatever. In casual games, anything goes as long as all players involved agree.

MediumYellow
02-13-2012, 01:24 PM
at my store we almost always rule that tall terrain is impassable. We treat impassable terrain almost like a template, that one can't go on top of because you would be "in" impassable terrain.

Michael
02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
This is a pretty easy situation to fix. The terrain rules in Prime MK II go into some detail, but the key bit to focus upon is:

... Keep in mind that these rules are guidelines and might need to be adapted to the actual terrain pieces you are using.

So, if you're worried about a situation where you can unfairly reach a spot that your opponent cannot, just define the terrain differently. Define that structure's reachable-only-by-Teleport top floor as "impassable terrain", and you never have to worry about getting up there to begin with.

Prime MK II does go into vertical measuring as well. Measurements are defined by volume-to-volume measurements in these situations instead of by base-to-base measurements.

Structures can also be damaged and destroyed, so models stuck on the "ground floor" certainly have options against models on the high ground. Models can suffer some pretty outrageous damage rolls from collapsing structures. (See, for example, the POW 48 damage roll described on Prime MK II page 89.) A couple of warbeasts or warjacks can usually topple a normal-sized (4" x 4" perimeter) structure pretty quickly.

Warmachine and Hordes are generally very friendly games. Some terrain pieces are pretty cut-and-dried on the rules, but you are absolutely free to come up with and agree upon your own terrain rules! Just remember to be fair. :)

Hope this helps!