PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone *action and Kara Sloans feat

hamsandwich50
02-14-2012, 08:13 PM
So this came up in a game tonight, can a cyclone who used it's activation to do the *action covering fire then fire because of kara sloans feat, I thought no since typically you can't do an attack when you do a *action but I'm not sure here is wording of Sloan's feat.

While in Sloan's control area, friendly faction models gain boosted attack rolls. When a model in Sloan's battlegroup that is in her control area hits an enemy model with a normal ranged attack during its activation, immediately after that attack is resolved one other model in Sloan's battlegroup that is in her control area can make one normal ranged attack. A model can make only one firing squad attack. Firing Squad lasts for one turn.

Uratoh
02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
It's quite able to fire off a shot due to her feat, even if it used its *action. There's no restrictions in either its action or feat on what it's allowed to do.

solkan
02-14-2012, 09:00 PM
So this came up in a game tonight, can a cyclone who used it's activation to do the *action covering fire then fire because of kara sloans feat, I thought no since typically you can't do an attack when you do a *action but I'm not sure here is wording of Sloan's feat.

There's a big distinction that needs to be made between "There's no way to do something (without the intervention of special rules)" and "That model cannot do that". Making additional attacks after a *action falls under the "There's no way to do that" category, not the "a model cannot do that" category.

If you look at page 48 and 49 of Prime Mk II, a model when it performs its action gets to choose between making a combat action and performing a special action, and the normal choices for getting additional attacks during a model's activation are all in the combat action section. Thus, people will tell you "You can't make additional attacks when you make a special action", but what they should be saying is "There's no way for you to do that". A special action, in theory (because I'm not going to go digging for the right combination of rules) could generate additional attacks given the right combination of rules and/or effects.

But that's only relevant for the model's own activation. The additional attacks that are generated by Sloan's feat are outside of the activation of the "one other model" that performs the additional attack.

Baptism By Ice
02-14-2012, 09:06 PM
As I read the feat, only normal ranged attacks will trigger bonus attacks, not special attacks. As such, using a *action would not trigger a bonus/feat attack. In addition, as I read the feat, one model cannot trigger the feat condition and have itself be the beneficiary of the bonus attack.

While in Sloan's control area, friendly faction models gain boosted attack rolls. When a model in Sloan's battlegroup that is in her control area hits an enemy model with a normal ranged attack during its activation, immediately after that attack is resolved one other model in Sloan's battlegroup that is in her control area can make one normal ranged attack. A model can make only one firing squad attack. Firing Squad lasts for one turn.

Emphasis added by me to highlight my reasoning.

Baptism By Ice
02-14-2012, 09:07 PM
...It also just occurred to me that you meant later in the turn that it could then get a bonus shot and that this bonus shot is not necessarily as a direct result of the cyclone's activation. In that case, then yes, I see no reason why it would not be able to get the feat shot.

solkan
02-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I may have misread the question. When I read the original poster's question the first time, I assumed that the scenario was:

Sloan activates her feat.
The Cyclone model activates, does its *action and then ends its activation.
Qualifying model B shoots something and triggers the condition for Sloan's feat.
The Cyclone gets picked to perform the additional ranged attack.

So, that should be a valid scenario.

But having the Cyclone's special attack trigger cause either itself or another model to gain a bonus ranged attack would be invalid. Covering fire won't grant a bonus ranged attack because it's a special action that isn't composed of any ranged attacks; and the feat specifies that one model making a ranged attack grants a different model (the 'one other model') the bonus ranged attack.

Anurien
02-15-2012, 03:05 AM
Yeah the single shot after its activation generated from another models in-activation shot is valid. Seems wrong but it is valid to do as Solkan said.

Sloan activates her feat.
The Cyclone model activates, does its *action and then ends its activation.
Qualifying model B shoots something and triggers the condition for Sloan's feat.
The Cyclone gets picked to perform the additional ranged attack

With Sloan's feat and the Cyclones Special action in either order.

Just imagine it is a ricochet. Or a duck flew through the covering fire and its bullet riddled corpse falls on some one on the other side. Like Bugs Bunny used to do to Elmer Fudd