PDA

View Full Version : Destor Thane multi-fire rule

Leo_the_Rat
02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I searched but couldn't find anything on this. Does a Thane have, in effect, 2 sets of initial attacks? In other words can I give up my initial attack with my lance-cannon to use multifire and still use the lance in melee?

For example:
1) I charge an enemy figure,
2) I then attack him with my initial melee attack (the lance) and kill him,
3) I then use my lance cannon in multi-fire mode in place of my initial ranged attack on nearby models.

Or does multi-fire make me give up both my initial melee and my initial range attacks to function.

The reason I'm confused is due to the wording of Virtuoso which appears to make the initial attacks separate from one another.

Crate123
02-20-2012, 01:48 PM
As its a special attack it will "use up" all your initial attacks.

Uratoh
02-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Multi-fire forefits initial attacks in their entirety. Also, he cannot use *Multifire on a charge as it is not an ability on a melee weapon, so your charge option is to make his lance's melee attack, and then make a single shot with his lance cannon (which virtuoso allows you to do).

Valander
02-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Just for clarification, you don't technically "give up" or "forfeit" initial attacks to make a special attack. That wording is confusing and inaccurate.

A model making a combat action chooses one of the following options:
A model can make one normal melee attack with each of its melee weapons. These attacks are called initial melee attacks. A model making more than one attack can divide them among any eligible targets.

A model can make one normal ranged attack with each of its ranged weapons. These attacks are called initial ranged attacks. A model making more than one attack can divide them among any eligible targets. Each ranged weapon makes only one initial attack regardless of its ROF.

A model can make one special attack (*Attack) allowed by its special rules.

A model that did not use its normal movement to charge can make one power attack allowed by its special rules. A power attack is considered both a melee attack and a special attack.

From that, it should be clear that if you use a Special Attack, you don't get to make initial attacks.

Leo_the_Rat
02-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Thank you for the clarification. I just wasn't sure if you go through the checklist a second time when you have virtuoso (once for melee and once for ranged).

Valander
02-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Thank you for the clarification. I just wasn't sure if you go through the checklist a second time when you have virtuoso (once for melee and once for ranged).
A reasonable question. ;)

This model can make melee and ranged attacks during the same combat action. When this model makes its initial attacks, it can make both its initial ranged and melee attacks.

So what it does, is basically combine the first and second bullet point in that list I presented into one choice.

MagnustheJust
02-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Multifire is great for some shiggles when used as a ride by attack...