PDA

View Full Version : Free Strikes

mbbelius
02-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Hi all,

Fairly new to warmachines so would really appreciate your wisdom on this matter.

Had a situation in a game tonight were my warcaster was in melee range of an enemy warbeast, my mate's warlock cast a spell which stated that the warbeast is placed in B2B with his warlock, which would then take him out of my warcasters melee range. We had a quick check of the rulebook on free strikes and it states "when a model advances out of melee range" you get the free strike. The issue is - is this model disappearing and then reappearing by the warlock's spell or is it, for want of a better word, dragged back to the warlock and therefore a free strike would have applied.

Just would like a bit of clarity on the word "placed" as it would have made a difference as I would have been hitting with egoreshade and therefore potentially making him stationary with his weapons affect?

Many thanks in advance :)

Siranaul
02-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Free strikes only trigger when a model voluntarily moves out of an enemy's melee range/LOS. Place effects, like the spell you are referring to, is not movement. So, there are no free strikes as a result.

Masanori
02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
placed means there is no advancing. and yes it makes a difference compared to advance. Placed means there is not freestrike for you at all.

CyrDraconis
02-20-2012, 02:52 PM
A Place effect is not an Advance, in short.

(Sounds like you ran into Kaya...)