PDA

View Full Version : Thrown models and linear obstacles

Ravir
02-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Wanted to double check on an order of operations question regarding a thrown model. Thrown/pitched/devastated, etc, flying through the air for whatever reason.

In this instance, Model A was thrown at Model B that was on the other side of a linear obstacle. Assuming that the throwing model makes a successful attack role vs Model B, then the thrown model (A) makes contact with (B), its front edge is now on top of the linear obstacle. The "path of least resistance" rules state that (A) must move backwards and will instead land in b2b with the obstacle.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu97/phirewind/Hordes/thown-over-obstacle.gif

The question being, does (B) still take collateral damage because the attack hit, or is (A)'s final location fully resolved before assessing what models are hit? It is my understanding that the final location is resolved first, so even though the attack roll was successful, (A) never actually makes contact with (B) because of the linear obstacle pushing it backwards as it landed.

Lanz
02-20-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm pretty sure the thrown model (A) would never make it over the wall to hit Model B in the first place. It'd get thrown into the wall and stop there, taking an additional dice for smashing into an obstacle. Unless there's some rule I'm not aware of that says thrown models ignore walls.

Ravir
02-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Rough terrain and obstacles (such as this linear obstacle) do not interfere with thrown movement (Primal Mk2 pg 54), but obstructions (buildings, etc) do. Linear obstacles add an additional damage dice to slams, but not throws.

solkan
02-20-2012, 11:24 PM
What "path of least resistance" are you referencing? From page 89 of Primal Mk II:

A model cannot partially cross, climb atop, or stand atop a linear obstacle.
So the model stops short because it is unable to move over the linear obstacle.

For infernal confirmation:
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?48412-Landing-on-a-Wall&p=677691&viewfull=1#post677691

So, as mentioned in the linked thread, your throw which hit now effectively "misses" because the terrain got in the way.