PDA

View Full Version : Bowling with Damiano: "Cannot be moved" vs Least Disturbance during slams

Ravir
02-20-2012, 10:33 PM
In a game vs Damiano, I ended up slamming my own Mauler over a group of troops (thanks, Horthol!) during Damiano's feat. In the example, the large based model is up against two ranks of small based models, and slammed at an angle into the center of them:
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu97/phirewind/Hordes/damiano-bowling-1.gif

The slam was rolled for 2 inches, which places the slammed Mauler overlapping all of the troops in the example except the two on the outer edges of the back rank. The question here is, which rule takes precedence, the Least Disturbance rule, or Damiano's feat which says the model "cannot be moved". If the least disturbance rule trumps, then it ends up looking like this, with 5 infantry models being placed via least disturbance and taking collateral damage:
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu97/phirewind/Hordes/damiano-bowling-2.gif

If Damiano's feat trumps the Least Disturbance rule, then the Mauler would be shoved all the way back to where he began, in b2b with one trooper, and only that model would take collateral damage assuming that the final position is resolved completely before determining collateral damage.

Thoughts?

solkan
02-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Edit: Whoops, I misunderstood which side Damiano was on, and by extension which models were getting affected by the feat.

I have a suspicion that this is going to come down to the fact that least disturbance wins on the principle that it specifies a mandatory rules interaction. That, and Damiano's feat doesn't say "cannot", it says

... and can only move or be moved during your turn.

On the gripping hand, it's equivalent to the problem of slamming a model over the shifting stones, and the thread that I found for that was left at "Checking": https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?14793-Immobile-and-Least-Disturbance&p=224775&viewfull=1#post224775

poeticruse
02-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Models that cannot be moved (or can only be moved at certain times) cannot be displaced by the principle of least disturbance.

If you do get into this situation, it should be resolved as if the unmoving model is the model that does not move during Least Disturbance resolution, and the thrown/slammed model can be moved by LD.

This also answers the linked thread.

R.J.
02-21-2012, 10:46 AM
If Damiano's feat trumps the Least Disturbance rule, then the Mauler would be shoved all the way back to where he began, in b2b with one trooper, and only that model would take collateral damage assuming that the final position is resolved completely before determining collateral damage.
(Emphasis added)

This is kind of a separate issue from the main question of the thread, but nothing in the rules (Being Slammed and Collateral Damage, p. 53 and Least Disturbance, p. 64) suggests that the Mauler *didn't* move through five guys just because Least Displacement happened to stick him back near his starting position before the slam.

Ravir
02-22-2012, 09:57 AM
This is kind of a separate issue from the main question of the thread, but nothing in the rules (Being Slammed and Collateral Damage, p. 53 and Least Disturbance, p. 64) suggests that the Mauler *didn't* move through five guys just because Least Displacement happened to stick him back near his starting position before the slam.

Yeah, that's a point that I was hoping to get clarified as well. In another thread, it was ruled that if a thrown model got pushed away from a target model by a linear obstacle, that its final location is determined first and it would never have hit the target. Would the same hold true for a slam through immovable models? If the Mauler lands on 5, but gets pushed out to B2B with just the one, do all 5 take collateral damage, or just the one?

quindraco
02-22-2012, 12:58 PM
I have updated the wiki with this.

poeticruse
02-23-2012, 01:59 PM

Following up to answer the secondary question. The quoted sentence is correct.