PDA

View Full Version : Stormblade Stormgunner

Killionaire
02-07-2010, 02:32 PM
The Stormgunner UA for the Stormblade unit has the following rule:

Electrical Current - If this attack hits a model during the unit's activation, ranged attacks against that model made by models in this unit later this activation automatically hit it.

Prime Mk2 has the following rule for how Ranged Combat works:
If the target is in range, make a ranged attack roll. If the target is beyond range, attack automatically misses.

Question: Since auto-hit trumps auto-miss, can Stormblades hit things beyond their normal range provided it was hit by the longer-ranged Stormgunner first?

Mod_Faultie
02-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Attack Timing Main Sequence
4. If the attack is a ranged or magic attack, check the range to the target. If the target is out of range, the attack automatically misses; do not make any attack rolls, and go to step 7.
5. Resolve effects that occur when a model is targeted by an attack, such as effects that cause an attack to hit or miss automatically. [I'm pretty sure that Electrical Current qualifies as an effect that causes an attack to hit or miss automatically. If the target is out of range, you would not get to this step, you'd jump to Step 7.]

This is my best guess. Since Electrical Current states the "ranged attacks against that model", that means attacks must be declared for the effect to trigger. That happens at Step 5. If the target is not in range, you never get to Step 5.

GunMageinTraining
02-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Yea, I'm pretty sure this is a No-Go Killionaire,

by the rules you may be right, and I can even define a fluffy reason too, but the timing sequence bypasses both.

Epy00n
02-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Someone asked something like that before, it doesnt work because in the attack flow chart, you check for range before autohit comes into play, if you dont have range, the attack fails

edit:
http://www.privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?t=8706&highlight=range+autohit+auto