PDA

View Full Version : Jumping off a bridge

Bob_Boyett
03-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Had a very interesting situation came up. My opponent was playing Kraye. He was bogged down over a bridge (river beneath was considered shallow water). He (Kraye) has clear los and threat range to my caster and Kraye has pathfinder. Couldn't find any rules that would apply outside of the rules for falling. The bridge close enough to the point where we could tell if it was an inch high for the falling rules. Since this was a friendly game, and this made such an epic picture, we decided to allow the charge to take place. Would the falling rules be used for this situation or is there something else that applies?

drachenfels
03-10-2012, 07:39 PM
depends... what did you say the terrain was before the start of the game??

if you did state the water was shallow then i would personally treat the bridge (assuming one that was similar to picture following) would count as elevation, (if taller than 1")and the side would be treated like obstacle for climbing up, and if they did move off the side (from more than 1") it would count as falling "or otherwise moves off of an elevated surface to another surface at least 1 full inch lower falls" pg63

so in this situation with the rules i would state there Kraye would be abe to move down, take a damage roll, not be knocked down due to steady, continue his move and still make his attacks (since the forfeit for steady and knocked down is only from slams and throws on same turn, not falling)

so cinematic ally it still works, but likely the horse broke a leg on the way.

(also why if it was shallow water would any reasonable person build a bridge??)

image of bridge
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEhoEJF1nFaQCCEEauqvFtTXnBuaPRn oZoRVtlEU-ceSc5rXmwcw

Bob_Boyett
03-10-2012, 07:57 PM
We called the water shallow before game started. We wanted a river that was still passable for jacks, but with an element of risk. The terrain was an industrial building that was dumping toxic stuff/trash into the river (I have a toxic river from my 40k days that I like to break out), and who would want to go crawling in the water outside of a combat situation. In the past, this type of terrain has made for good tossing of jacks off a bridge, so we like to add a bridge when we have a river to make the battlefield interesting (also we may have bridge auto-include mentality from our GW days). We both forgot about steady (my opponent is still new to Kraye, as I am as well). I think you have the right of it for future games. It was just too cool to not say lets do it and find out if legal later.

Bob_Boyett
03-10-2012, 08:01 PM
I'll try and post a pic of the scene in the morning. Thanks for the help...much appreciated.

Karl Eller
03-10-2012, 09:15 PM
(also why if it was shallow water would any reasonable person build a bridge??)

Because shallow water is still rough terrain. Also, getting your shoes wet sucks.

drachenfels
03-10-2012, 09:18 PM
oh and to finish the thread before it gets locked : "If Kraye jumped off a bridge would you jump off one too??" [motherly tone[